Wednesday, July 21, 2010

2004

Some kid's music that Peja and I recorded a while back is playing on my headphones.

I finally got around to figuring out how my hard-disk stand-alone recorder can export single tracks to my computer. My recorder does a fine job recording, and I have decent pre-amps, but it's mixing abilities, i.e. effects and compression, are noisy and can sound cheap.

So I've been doing some mixing with free free free Audacity, which feels a lot like the old sound editor on window 3.1 or whichever one was the last one that actually had windows, I remember isolating a Jim Morrison scream from a live show and looping it over some other stuff in my parents office in the cottage in Lake of Bays.

The difference, is that this track actually sounds pretty good, as far as it's sonic qualities (the song itself is very much a demo) It is easy easy easy to edit and stuff, and I imagine a shinier interface would make this kind of mixing easier that the layers of menus on my recorder.

I am so 2004.

No comments: