Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Wilco and other commercial failures. . .



So I was hanging out with Peja the other night, cooking dinner, or doing the dishes (or, more likely, checking my Email), and I had tunes on the radio, and this lyric, that I always liked, just struck me right between the ol' eyes and maybe it was the 3 tablespoons of raw sugar I had just eaten, but I thought, "man, that's a great fucking lyric". It's from a Wilco record, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, and the lyric is --

All my lies are always wishes
I know I would die if I could come back new


The record is featured in a documentary called I am trying to break your heart, and it shows the band recording an amazing record, and then getting kicked off their record label for it.

What is it about records that get people kicked off labels? Sloan's Twice Removed, Thrush Hermit's Sweet Homewrecker (the band's gone, but check out Joel Plaskett), and that Wilco record. 3 of my favorite records, all got people out of record contracts.

Just goes to show.

Huh?

No comments: