Thursday, November 29, 2007

Team Basketball = Anti-Jay

There are nights when I know that I'm hurting my team more than helping. And it's tough, because I just want to play hard, work hard, and make the right play -- but my instincts are so built on shooting shooting shooting; so even when I'm firing 20' fade-aways off the side of the backboard, it's hard for me to see the open man.

There was one shot I made (3 for 11 on the night), that felt right. I caught the ball on the baseline, about 15 feet out, and for once I had some time before the help defense came over, so I dribbled twice, got my feet set, and fired a turn-around fade-away. The difference -- I had time; 2 seconds probably, from when I caught the ball, to when I shot it, and I wasn't running between. My catch and shoot is a huge piece of crap; and my shot on the run is just as bad. But if I can get a moment to catch my breath, everything is easy. 1 on 1 or 2 on 2 is full of time, if you want it, there's almost never help defense, and so long as you're happy keeping your back to the basket, you can hang-out forever waiting for the right moment.

The goal in all this basketball nonsense is to someday get into coaching. So I'm trying to play the point, trying to see the floor, trying to find the best pass to make, trying not to dribble into the corner, 'cause that's a really great way to lose the ball.

Oh, hey, I turned 28 the other day -- thanks to everyone that wished me well over on facebook, or on the phone, or however. I used to really sweat that most of my favourite bands broke before they were whatever age I was -- and I guess I still notice it, but I am so thankful for all the wonderful luck I've had in my life, and the wonderful people around me; I wouldn't trade it for a 5 record deal.

More music stuff will being happening -- We'll do another show soon, maybe back at the Wilson Room again, because that place is so beautiful, or maybe somewhere else.

No comments: