Thursday, November 15, 2007

Who did you have?

My rec team, The High Fives, had probably our best game of the season last night. We lost, but we competed with the 3 time league champs, and aside from a certain idiot losing his dribble about 50 times (uh, that'd be me), we played a very solid game.

There's this horrible moment whenever I sub off, when my replacement asks me who I was covering. . . And I know who it was, most of the time, but damned if my dehydrated mind can describe them; "uh. . . the big guy, white. . . that one. . . you'll find out. . . " is all I manage before collapsing onto the bench. I've been applying the golden rule, and when I'm next up to go back in, I start watching everyone and who they're covering, so I have some idea what I'm doing.

4 on 4 continues to confuse the hell out of me. The help-defense always manages to corner me with the ball, and my veiled threats at swinging elbows doesn't stop a lot of ball-slapping once I pick it up.

We played a quick 2 on 2 game after the real game, and I shot like 10 for 11 or something, which must confuse the hell out of my team, having watched me go 2 for 7 or something in the game. But I took those 10 shots over maybe 5 minutes, as oppose to shooting every 5 minutes or so during the real game. I'm a shitty shitty cold shooter -- and running up and down doesn't seem to help. 2 on 2 involves a lot of football-like breaks where everyone resets and I can catch my breath. Fitness is probably the answer to my problems. . .

Thanks again to all my great teammates -- who are making me such a better player. And I'll try and stop dribbling into the corner. It's retarded. I know.

No comments: