Sunday, July 12, 2009

weighted toward the past

It's around 11pm.

The girls are sleeping.

There are two lists in front of me.

One is the set list for the July 19th Show. (preview -- it's kickin')

The other is the song progress list for the new record.

3 songs in the can. 4 fully written and demoed. 3 with demos at various levels of completion (one is perhaps over-written, with stuff to be cut, but otherwise is fine; another is more of an idea than a song). There are also a few songs drifting around that might sneak onto the record.

The set list for the show is done. Song distribution by album:
Songs for My Seaweed Girl (current record): 3
Great Lakes: 1
How it Feels to be a Rock and Roll Dad: 1
Probable New Album: 2
Lucky 13 (final Jason Middaugh record): 4

Alright, no one but me would notice or give a shit, but 4 of the tunes are from a record that I recorded over 6 years ago. They were written and recorded a whole Peja ago. A medium length marriage ago. And, it's not lost on me, they were written while I was living like a monk/hermit in a farm house near Guelph and pretending to care about an English degree.

Those are tunes I want to play live. The ones that rock the most the easiest.

What does it mean to want to write mellow records while performing rock songs from a previous lifetime?

No comments: