Saturday, June 27, 2009

The Dorian Recital

I can't imagine a day-to-day situation in my life that wouldn't be easier, more fun, and more memorable with Peja's company. Bank meeting? You need someone to make, "hey, you know they love loaning money to unemployed musicians" asides, right?

So, after going with her to a 5 year old's pirate themed birthday party (which was awesome) this morning, Peja came with me to the music school's recital. In short, I was wicked proud of all my kids, and really impressed with the rest of the students who played. Tim has gotten so used to me picking Weezer tunes (3 this year) that he mislabeled a Matthew Sweet song as a Weezer tune in the program. . . Just like last year, the show was very well received -- I think when you take a group of people heading to a music recital, and instead give them a rock 'n roll show, it's generally going to get a good reaction.

Thanks to Tim, Kevin, and Rob for putting it together. It seems like a real pain in the ass during rehearsals and stuff, but in the end it's so clear that it's worth it. Also, while accompanying my students, I got to play bass, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, drums, sing, and rap! (uh, let's burn that tape, alright?)

In other news, Kevin Cooke, Dorian's esteemed bass, vocal, ear-training, and everything else teacher has formally agreed to play with the Barn Flyz at our next show, the details of which are getting smashed together as you read these words at this moment. July 19th. Mark it down. Maybe outside. Cost? Uh, I'm leaning towards "pay what you can" with a big tin with a slot in the top sitting somewhere. Time of day? Probably somewhere in the late afternoon / early evening.

I ran through the setlist playing on Itunes while I tried to play and sing along, and for the most part, I seemed to know most of the chords. . . Next up? Remember the lyrics. . . Uh. . . Never my strength. . .

1 comment:

P's Momma said...

Um... did you say RAP??? I HAFTA SEE THAT!!!!!