Sunday, October 22, 2006

Love is a Four Letter Word

Had some daytime jamming today with the Guelph boys. They came down late last night and just left to make it home in time for Sunday dinner -- something that, for honest folk, isn't optional - or so they tell me.

We dug through some old songs, Magellen and the Worms, Red Flag, Safe and Warm -- listening to half done demos that showed promised but got shelved for other material. But it seems so wrong to punch into the old tapes and add new vocals or change the organ part. Music, at least for us, is such a changing thing, that it seems like doing a cover song. Now. . .

Hold on. . .

While writing this I had "Peja or Paul" -- a record I wrote for Peja (or Paul, if she, uh, you know, was someone different), on the stereo and a song called "love is a four letter word" came on, and damned if I wasn't drawn to the idea of recording it again.

See, there's the problem. Old stuff is easier. Writing new material is scary, and I don't have the time to spend with it that I've already spent with old songs.

Oh, hey, this is all part of the "post lots of crap on the blog" program leading up to the new records release.

No comments: