Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Transformers

I dropped out of film school, as many of you know, and pretty much stopped enjoying nearly all forms of passive entertainment.

Because I'd like the world to be black and white.

Things are much simpler that way.

Or, so I thought.

Sienna, my poor wife, has put up with me for 5 years, and slowly, slowly, I have been willing to participate in movie watching. Now, a good drama still bores me to death. The writer Dave Eggers discusses fiction as driving down the street in a clown costume -- you know it's a clown costume, everyone else knows it's a clown costume, but we all pretend not to notice. The costume is the fiction, and the pretending is our suspension of disbelief. Now, when I studied film-making, I started noticing the clown. Because it's an f'n clown -- and, guess what, I'm not getting emotionally attached to a clown. ("guess what, I'm not. . ." could've been tatooed on my face from ages 15-23)

Now, what I have discovered, is that the movies that I could still really whole-heartedly enjoy were the ones that purported to no higher purpose than entertainment.

With that in mind, I present -- Jay's first Very Short Way After the Fact Film Review!

Today's film is Transformers, Directed by Michael Bay.

I will fight, to the death if necessary, anyone who argues that this film is anything but the absolute best movie it could be; given, of course, that's it's about transforming robots from outer-space.

Grade: A

So ends Jay's first Way After the Fact Film Review.

No comments: