Saturday, May 31, 2008

Where's the music?

This is a returning theme of this blog -- that the to which it owes it's name generally doesn't exist. Sure, if you go into Zap Records, or the Summer Dock Studio (Wolfe Island), or The Dorian School of Music, you can buy our cd -- but aside from that, there really hasn't been much going on since our November show. And that sucks.

Every time I run into, or talk with one of the guys from the band I feel like such an ass that I haven't managed to pull together anything resembling a show.

I've enjoyed making music and shows with Peja -- but no matter how much I like to pretend to the contrary -- she's probably a bit young for being in a band. Give her a year, maybe two, and there could be something there - but right now she shouldn't have to worry about whether the song is a swing or a shuffle. So, maybe soon, I'll get something scheduled. I've been talking to Kyra and Tully at the park, and it'd be cool if we could do another show like last summer's Wilson Room spectacle.

The Dorian spring recital is being split this year -- there'll be two shows; the 2nd of which will feature my students on June 28th in my favourite venue -- The Wilson room at the Central Library. I have a few songs to learn -- I think I'm supposed to sing or drum about 75% of the tunes, so I should probably figure them out. . . I can sing Green Day, right? My students are doing a great job learning their stuff -- I think we'll pull together a good show.

I've been playing ball at Peja's school at a great community pick-up game. I am amazed and very pleased to find a large number of Dad's and Mom's who dig basketball too. It's not quite the level of KSSC, but it's pretty fun, and at 2 hours or so, a longer and better work-out. We had 8 players out last week, which seems about perfect, 3 on 3 with 2 subs lets everyone play as much as they want, with an option for rest. You constantly switch teammates, which can be confusing, but also makes it really fun, and it means you never get too upset by physical players, because 10 minutes after they knock you over, they're helping you by setting a dirty screen for a lay-up.

Uh, that was a bit scattered. . .

Take care.

No comments: