Sunday, July 06, 2008

Tax

I walked up to the counter with the smallest and cheapest bottle we
could find. I believe it had a picture of an iceburg on it.

"seven dollars," the cashier said, while I was thumbing through the
change pocket of my wallet for change I apparently didn't need.

"So tax is included," I remarked to Sienna.

For the first time in her four years, Peja was spending the night with
someone other than me. And damned if I was doing that sober.

If you do the math, I believe it cost about $1.50 to get me drunk, and
about the same to put Sienna to sleep.

But the tax remark was actually a last ditch effort to look young. I
had wanted to get carded. But I guess I waited a few years too many
to make my first liquor store purchase.

If anyone wants a half-full half-mickey of cheap vodka, it's in my
freezer.

1 comment:

P's Momma said...

by far the funniest image i could ever have... you buying liquor for your first time at age 28... sad, just sad....and commenting about the tax... ha ha ha