Tuesday, November 24, 2009

"I'm Bruce's girlfriend, from the story he just told on stage. . ."

Across the hallway here at the Dorian School of Music, someone is learning to play Van Halen's "Eruption".

Note by note.

Indeed.

This weekend, Kyra and Tully released 3 years of work on cd. I played bass at the CD release show, which was headlined by Jenn Grant, and featured a not-so-surprise guest spot by Bruce Cockburn, who even brought along his very own stalker. She introduced herself to me as "Bruce's Girlfriend" and repeated a story he had told on stage about his girlfriend as proof. A janitor nearby bought her tail and let her in through the locked back-stage area. I followed, since I belonged there, and didn't want to take the long way around. She was completely non-violent, and when asked to leave, she left. Bruce was understandibly annoyed, but very gracious and said, "I forgive whatever you've done", which I think is a pretty good line as people haul away someone fixated on you.

I didn't have much of a chance to talk to him, just an awkward "band in the kitchen" bit of time where we talked about my new baby, and he made jokes about iraq that he meant to be about afganistan, and then corrected himself.

He joined us for one tune, and he was awesome. After our set, he played 3 songs, and they were all fantastic. I don't meant they were fantastic songs, because I'm not sure I would every buy a cd with them on it, but the performances were breathtaking. He was buy himself on stage, and he filled the room with his guitar and voice, and just left absolutely no doubt why he's the famous one. The crowd would've stayed for 100 more songs.

I missed Jenn Grant's set, as I was home rocking my new son, and talking with my parents, who were in town. And since she reads this blog, my sister joined us in the morning, and had a big-sister pow-wow with Peja, wherein they went to indigo and bought a book about princesses.

Thanks to Kyra and Tully for risking my not being there (Echo could've been born much closer to the show and forced me to cancel) and allowing me to participate in an awesome night of music in Kingston.

No comments: