Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Massie Johnson Combo. . .

Kids are sleeping. Wife is working. Blogging time!

After 4 sleepless nights and days, I lost my head and bought some drum mics, then panicked, and bought different mics instead, and then panicked, and then finally got some sleep, and then decided that the mics were a good decision. I've always recorded my drums with 1 or 2 mics (I think I used 3 a couple of times), and I liked the sound, and mostly the simplicity of setting up 5 minutes. The new mics clamp on to the drums, or hang high above, or need to be carefully placed on stuff near by drums, and when they are all combined, they sound fucking (sorry mom) awesome and huge and punchy.

Sometimes Barn Flyz Kevin Cooke sent a cd from ottawa of a group he's been playing with - The Massie Johnson Combo, (link is to a youtube clip of dubious sound quality, but you can get a bit of an idea) which is really fantastic instrumental jazz/blues/r&b that makes me want to shoot a black and white 16mm film about walking down quiet early morning misty city streets. We're in discussions about him mixing the next bit of Barn Flyz music; he just may have persuaded me to let someone else have some control over the sonic aspects of my tunes.

No comments: