Saturday, January 15, 2011

Movie Review: True Grit. . .

I took Sienna to the movies for the first time in 6 years.

We saw the Coen Brother's "True Grit".

There was a line-up for tickets, but apparently everyone else was going to see the Green Hornet or whatever else. We shared the theatre with one middle aged guy that came in 15 minutes late. Maybe he couldn't buy Seth Rogan as an action hero, ditched his 3-D glasses and wandered across the lobby. Either way, it was a quiet crowd.

Sienna bought a $7 bag of popcorn. It was f'n huge.

In film school, one of my instructors was always talking about how movies seem more entrancing then TV because the bigger screen makes your eyes move around and that keeps your brain more active. It's also nice if you're near-sighted like me. It's like a large print book in movie form.

The movie reminded me a bit of The Murder of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford; it is set it a similar world. But the pace is much faster, the whole thing is under 2 hours. But the plot never feels rushed, everything has time to breathe and be noticed.

There is a man wearing a bear as outerwear.

I really enjoyed it.

You could go see it, if your wife likes seeing movies in theatres, and you never, ever, ever go with her, and by going together you will share an enjoyable afternoon in a dark room with a strange man and $7 popcorn.

I don't mean the other guy watching the movie was strange. Just that he was a stranger. I think. I wasn't wearing my glasses. He could've been my 3rd grade teacher.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

your 3rd grade teacher was a GIRL!!!