Sunday, January 09, 2011

Notes from the Recording Studio. . .

I've been spending some time in the studio working on demos for a new record. I suffer from demo-itis a lot of the time; I make really fast sketches of songs that have a lot of energy, but lack polish. The plan is always to go back and do a "better" recording based on the demo. But, after listening to the sketch demo a few times, it becomes the song for me, and it's difficult to live with anything that doesn't have that same first-time energy.

3 steps down the road towards solving this problem:

1. Become a good enough player that I can get a great first or second take.
2. Work on song building (as opposed to writing) before hitting the record button.
3. Write down song structures so I don't have to relearn parts from quick demos.

Most of it involves planning and discipline. Not being lazy lazy lazy lazy lazy lazy lazy.

It took me two days to write this 200 word blog post.

Hmmmm. . .

No comments: