Wednesday, August 01, 2007

An evening in the Church Basement

Well, first off, thanks to Greg Tilson (uh, I'm still guessing on the spelling, but it's gotta be close, right?) He seems to be a very nice man, and I believe I saw him play "down by the bay" at a 1st birthday party a couple of years ago.

The Basement of the Queen Street United Church somehow has a stage, and lights, and feels like a highschool gym.

I ended up going on 'round about an hour late, to a pretty small crowd -- which made it seem much more like a bar gig than a show in a church basement. But my audience was mostly made up of Skeleton Park Music Festival Volunteers, and endeavor I very much admire, so I am quite glad to have played for them. It's funny how a small crowd is much more terrifying than a large one. I think I'd rather play for 10,000 people than 8; aside from the obvious signs of a career that the 10,000 might indicate, it's just much less daunting to win over some of 10,000 than all of 8.

One time Flyz drummer Ian Montgomery was there, currently of InfoTourist fame, and I got to meet Annie Clifford, sister of Paul Clifford - who's been playing bass to my drums for Kyra and Tully lately.

Everyone was very welcoming, butI feel quite old, and somehow also like a little kid, around these folks; it's a world away from play groups and wading pools. I also just can't get my head around waiting for stuff; I've been playing live music for a decade, and I still show up on time -- always hours before anything happens. Spalding Gray uses the phrase "little drummer boy" to discribe feeling like a tag-along with other artists; I always feel a step out of time.

Nich Worby played after me, and he was really great, and quite gracious to compliments. He's opening the Wolfe Island Music Festival this year, so show up early.

My Set List:

The Slow Country Song (from my very first Sideview E.P.)
City Lights
After the Fire
Parrot (new)
Red Flag
In the Shadow of the Sleeping Giant
Tryin' You On

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you got to play at the kool church?!!? glad it went well... see you very soon!