Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Home

Two weeks of clean air, fresh water, and more family than you can shake a stick at. . . Muskoka isn't such a bad place to visit.

It's my home, I guess, as much as anywhere -- especially the cottage. I've been going there since my first summer (some think I made it there for my first christmas, which would've seen me around 1 month old), and my family's been there since '54.

When I was small, we would spent almost every weekend there, and 3 weeks or so in the summer. It was my favourite place in the whole world, and when I was older, and my family didn't have the time to go, I signed on as a nanny to my twin cousins to keep my cottage time.

I'm no army brat, but I lived in 5 different cities and towns before I graduated high school. Other familes live in the houses of my youth, other children sleep where I slept. But my grandmother's cottage, which housed us all in chaos and joy before the land was subdivided, has a hardwood floor that I remember crawling on. I hide and seek my daughter Peja in cubbies and nooks where I once hid myself.

No comments: