Thursday, October 04, 2007

Game 1 -- the stench of defeat. . .

46-26? Something like that. I barely had the heart to ask the scorer. We got run off the court by the Queen's/RMC squad, which I think is actually a cover for NBDL and WNBDL players.

Thanks to Roland, Bonnie, Harold, Alissa, Chris, and Mike for an awesome effort -- it was our first time playing as a team, and the result aside, I think we're going to be a great team. I continue to be in way over my head, but everyone is very supportive, and there was no mention of me jacking up about 20 shots (I made, uh, 3 or 4? something like that). I came up court with the ball, ahead of my teammates, and the sideline chant was "wait for numbers!", which I took to mean, "Throw up a shot, because there's no chance we could rebound it!". My only moment of glory was a soft fade that bounced around the rim for a while -- from my point of view, I could tell it was going to drop, so I turned and ran back while everyone else waiting the 2 or 3 more seconds it took to fall; I think it was the only time all night that my check didn't beat me back downcourt.

All the shooting practice in the world was no help against a team that didn't walk up the ball once -- they ran and ran and ran. . . and ran again. At the end of the game, when I was lying on the ground gasping for air and trying to restart my heart, they were running dunking drills at the other end.

After the game, Mike asked me if I'm in a band, and I'm really starting to feel like I'm not, which is shitty, what with this being a blog about the band attached to the website about the band. I think after I post this, I'm going to throw a dart at a calendar and do a show on that date. No joke.

Take care,

Jay.

1 comment:

P's Momma said...

does your team need a sport psychologist?!?