Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Weez is the Way

In an interview with the A.V. Club Weezer leader Rivers Cuomo gave this great quote about the difference between heavy metal and Weezer:

It's coming, I guess, not from a place of power and fantasy, but rather an acknowledgment of, "Oh, I don't actually have a lot of power. I am a geek." Whereas metal is trying to pretend you are not a geek.

I don't put a lot of links in this blog, but this quote explains a big part of why Weezer has been my favourite band for the past 5 or 6 years.

I think the whole alternative music movement in the early 90's was about the acknowledgment that Rivers writes about, and that's how it dethroned all the bullshit heavy music -- unmasked a bunch of posing and nonsense.  The songs from that era are still consistently played on kingston's "modern rock" stations -- along side this decades rapid decent back to the posing and nonsense.  The vocal styles of Eddie Vedder, and Scott Weiland are ripped off, and those copies are copied and copied and copied, and in the 17th generation none of the honesty or irony remains. 

No comments: