Thursday, February 07, 2008

The Blue Crush

Along with our new name (Blue Crush -- it was going to be Orange Crush, but we couldn't get the orange jerseys, and so now we share our name with a chick surfer movie. . .), my basketball team has a new winning attitude. We played about 100 times more like a team; good passing, good help defense, and some timely shooting from everyone.

There was a little scuffle involving some aggressive play -- it's tough in a league without refs; fouls away from the ball just aren't called, so battles underneath the basket can get a bit chippy. I think everything got worked out -- Bonnie from last season's High-Fives is their captain, so I had a talk with her after the game about what happened (I was largely ignorant, since it all took place away from the ball, and I generally spend all my time looking at the net. . .)

I was pretty surprised to see any verbal animosity -- the league is so much less intense this season than last. I haven't caught a single elbow, and by and large all my checks have been quick to smile. I think we're going to have a great season.

Thanks to Jeff, Dave, Sarah, Kaili, Bryn, and Dennis -- Seth; hope you're back next week.

My knees were totally fine, which furthers the biking-cause-injury theory. I iced them last night, but they feel fine today.

No comments: