Friday, February 01, 2008

Right Knee

Ever since I started playing a lot of pick-up basketball in the summer after my 1st year at College, I've been pretty used to being crippled the day after a big game. When I lived in my parent's basement, the trip up the stairs the morning after a game would often involved clawing my way to the top, because my legs would be so destroyed. But, aside from a messed up ankle (resulting mostly from a fall from a lamp-post I probably shouldn't have climbed) in 2001, which took about 3 months to heal, it was always fairly obviously a pulled something or a sore what-have-you, and it would be fine before the next game -- and even if it wasn't, I could still play through the pain.

But last Friday I woke up, and my knee decided that if I bent it past 30 degrees, it would scream and scream and scream. And if I climbed down the stairs, it would scream. And pretty much anything involving picking up and carrying a little person, again, screaming. It happened 2 days after a ball game, so it wasn't just from that game (I actually felt great the day after the game), and instead of getting better, it got worse each day for the next 6 days. And, basically, I was wondering if just all the basketball and shooting practice I've been doing had worn out my knee -- which was a pretty terrifying idea; I'm 28, but that's not really the age where I'm willing to accept my joints giving up on me.

I had to consider that I might have to stop playing ball -- which is by far my favorite rec activity. I had always figured that all was missing from me being a great player was giving it more time, and here, having given it my time, it seemed to be ruining my body. Peja woke me up in the middle of the night (she's actually be pretty awesome lately, so it's no big deal), but what sucked is that I could barely get to my feet. I dragged my right leg to her room, and with an incredible amount of pain, I carried her to the bathroom and back to bed.

I fell back into bed, my knee grinding and popping, and I decided that it was alright. My goals have had more to do with coaching lately anyway, and if this was what it took to properly change my focus, than maybe it was alright.

Maybe it's what I need.

Jay.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, go to the hospital! I'm sure they can hook you up with a few more seasons.

Jay said...

Thanks man -- it's actually been feeling better. . . I almost went to the doctor, and I would've right away if it was a sudden injury, but I think it's just wear-and-tear (tendinitis?). I can almost get up and down the stairs without pain, so I think it'll be fine.

P's Momma said...

It's about time you understand the pain i've been in all these years! Maybe it's genetic- bad knees run in our family?!!? :)

Glad to hear it's starting to feel better!