Friday, February 22, 2008

Drunken Hippies

I got to work today (thanks to the household for sponsoring a new ebike battery -- the new one is wicked awesome, and thanks to Sienna for making an equally awesome waterproof cover for it) and my boss Tim was asking me if I wanted to drums play in a country band.

For some background, Tim has asked me to form or join the following kinds of band:

Collective Soul Cover Band
Matchbox Twenty Cover Band
Maroon 5 Cover Band

I like my job, so I should probably stop there.

But the country band thing is strange. A few years ago, Matt Murphy from Halifax's The Super Friendz, starred in a mockumentary about a fictional Canadian Country singer named Guy Terrifico. The film is, oh, around 3 stars, but the music in it was really catchy, and so I bought the album from Zunior and it's all kind of fake old country stuff, with lyrics like, "if our love ain't worth a damn, at least it's worth a song". But it's really cool music, and the slide guitar along makes me want to get a pedal steel. So, anyway, I had my ipod playing through the stereo, and some of the Guy Terrifico stuff came on, and Sienna looked over at me, and we both knew what the other was thinking, and our conversation was something like:

"Man, I really dig this stuff."
"Yeah, it's got me worried."
"I know. Me too. Like, can I like country music?"
"Yeah. "
(We talk like drunken hippies.)

And we both enjoy the alt-country, but this stuff wasn't alt at all. It was old time. It's like turning on the radio and suddenly thinking, "You know what, this CBC program about gardening is fascinating!" What's a guy to do?

So, anyway, Tim asks me about this band, and I'm curious. Their going into the Dorian Studios to do some recording, so I'll get a chance to hear their stuff.

No comments: