Friday, February 29, 2008

Victory!

Alright, first off, two wins on Wednesday night, so congrats to the rest of the Blue Crush team. We, uh, you know. . . Crushed them. Our second game was against a short-handed version of my old team, so that was a good win, if only for trash-talking purposes. Bill Resler, the basketball coach from the great documentary The Heart of the Game has a saying, "the team that makes the most mistakes generally wins", and I could see that in our games. We threw a lot of leading passing that careened out of bounds, but for every one we missed, we'd get another one for an easy basket. It's how the best teams from last season would win. We played loose and relaxed, ran for most of the game (we have to be the oldest team in the league, but running seems to really work for us), and came away with two good wins.

Tim had that country band back out to the Dorian studio last night, so I got to meet and greet with them. Like all bands, their "between drummers", in that the drummers they like are unreliable and the drummers that are reliable they don't like. They're just a couple of brothers, but they've got great chops and a good business sense; their dad helps them out, and he seems to have a great sense of how to help while letting it be his kids' deal. So, for now, I think I'm going to go back and re-record their drum tracks for them (their lead-guitarist is laying down scratch drum tracks), and see how that goes. They play a lot of gigs, all over the place, and I'd be up for Kingston shows, but traveling isn't really my thing (unless I get rides, I guess, then it would be alright). I'm not sure they realize how good they have it -- they're pulling $200-$300 a gig, for just a three piece, that's great money.

Hope everything is cool with you,

Jay.

No comments: