Saturday, September 27, 2008

What to do. . .

Songs for my Seaweed Girl was released about 18 months ago, I think. . .  (pretending to check records. . .)  Sure, that sounds fine.  The plan was to sell enough copies to pay for the copies that I would send out to college radio, press, etc to hope for a wider audience.

Now, 18th months later I still dig that record, but it doesn't feel especially current.  Now, most of the problem there is my own perspective on these things.  I've always felt that the more material I could put out, the faster I would improve.  Maybe that's counter-intuitive, because you would think that spending longer crafting things and perfecting things would do more good that just smashing stuff together as fast as possible.  I guess there are arguments for both, and as it's late at night in a house where everyone is asleep except myself, I will continue to discuss them quietly aloud while you read on to other issues.

It's a tricky business, this music without touring business, because it really doesn't work.  I think the key advantage an indie artist has over a bigger act is the person touch -- if you see a small band play at a bar or a small venue, you can probably talk to them, ask them about the music, etc.  You can befriend a small band, and that's something that makes people buy cd's or t-shirt's or whatever.  So, basically, if I'm not playing shows, there's really no personal touch to be made.

Wait, that paragraph was really more of an aside, a lament on my lack of gigs in the last little while. . .  But, seriously now, the question is, would it be appropriate to send out, say, 20 copies of Songs for my Seaweed Girl to whomever these things get sent to?  It would cost maybe $40 in postage and I'd have to write up some bullshit bio or whatever. . .

Risk -- Well, what's the worst case?  I suppose being ignored, and not being reviewed.  Would that be worse than a critic not digging it?  I don't know.  There seems a current lack of the regular brand of self-deluding over-confidence that usual inhabits my studio.  That's the biggest problem.  There really isn't any dancing around.

Best case?  Well, I guess some people could like it an play it over the college radio air-waves, and maybe give me some quotes to use on the next album's bio.

Alright, past all that crap.

I got some-more time in the studio today to work on a slower, kind of rolling-along simple rock tune currently called "Lifeguard".  That wobbly keyboard sound a few of you have heard on the demo for David Ash (if you'd like to hear it, shoot me an Email and I'll send you the mp3) is definitely sticking around.  It's going to replace any thought of 2nd guitar in a lot of places, and I feel like it does a much better job of hinting at melodies and stuff that lead work.  Mostly because I'm a shit lead-guitarist, I suppose, and keyboard is much easier if you're not trying to play 3 parts at once.

So, that's going well.  Otherwise, I don't know what the hell to do, but that's alright.

And my big sister is going to be a mom -- isn't that nice?

1 comment:

P's Momma said...

Send me a copy of your new song!!! I wanna hear it!!! Let me know if you want me to send your cd around barrie- i would totally do that for ya!

the last line of your blog made me smile :)