Monday, December 29, 2008

The Plan. . .

When I was 17, I lived in my parent's basement at our cottage/house on Lake of Bays.  The basement housed my drums (sometimes 2 sets. . .), keyboards, guitars, recording gear, etc. . .  I made a lot of music down there -- my sister was away at school and my parent's slept 2 floors and a good 50 feet away, so I could play late at night when the creative whatevers seem to do there whatever to the whatever and stuff can make sense that shouldn't.

And as I was learning my way around the guitar and bass and doing my best to sing, I knew that someday I would want to have my own band.

Now, I have two sets of twin cousins (that Peja and my sister's future baby Peanut are singles is a lucky lucky mystery), the younger set being born about 10 years after me.  Kevin and Tom would spend their summers at the cottage, next door to our house, and we'd hang out and do cottage stuff together.  My Uncles and Aunts were always awesome about playing with me, and I tried to pass this on, and Kevin and Tom are so wicked awesome with Peja, so it's a cycle thing.

Now, one day, they were in the basement, and I let them play my drums.  For a minute.  Which is pretty cool for a 7-8 year old kid who's never had the chance.  And I told them that Kevin should learn the drums, and Tom should learn the bass.

This was 12 years ago.

I have since lived in 6 different houses in 5 cities and towns.  And I have been lucky enough to have 3 drummers and 2 bass players in my band.  But, if all goes to plan, the Feb 7th show will have my cousin Kevin on the drums.  Which is a pretty cool thing to me.  It's not the full dream, not without Tom rockin' the bass, but it's a step closer.  So, if you make it out to the show, and see me cursing out my drummer, don't worry, that's just how my family shows their love.

No comments: