Monday, December 15, 2008

Renovations. . .

We spent the weekend tearing out the closets in our bedroom.  They were old (1890, like the rest of the house) and the plaster was crumbling all over our stuff.  Not an issue to me, since a fine dusting adds an air of dignity to a man, but Sienna objected.  The closets (well, one closet and two cupboards) took up one whole wall of the bedroom, so right now our room is about 2 feet longer, and will soon be filled with an evil ikea thing that will organize our lives and refresh our marriage.

Man, 120 years ago, they build stuff to last.  We we get the bill from the dump, I'll let you know, but I'm guessing there was a good 300-400 lbs of material in that simple 7'6" x 8' wall.  The studs were rough-cut 2"4" that were a good 1/2" generous on all sides.  I guess there were a lot of trees around back then.

I'm not very handy, but sometimes it's nice to pretend to know what I'm doing with a cut-saw and a sledge hammer.

We're still sleeping in the dining room.

No comments: