Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The kid calls me "man"

Went to the Banff Mountain Film Festival last night -- it's a touring festival that Sienna's work sponsors every year. I worked the raffle table, smiling at people while wishing them luck at winning the size 14 right boot in the prize display. The show was quite good, and even better, Peja went to sleep for her Ba-Chan, a.k.a. Sienna's mom, and was still asleep when we got home at 10:45 -- I think our first evening out that didn't end with the consolation of screams. High times indeed.

It's all part of the general trend back towards being human beings, a trend that is sure to waver as we move through this bizarre adventure of parenting, but right now, the skies are clear and the Dad to Jay ratio is looking better all the time. The kid has started to call me "man", and that alone makes me happy about everything.

The first all-band rehersal has been scheduled for next week. Lead guitarist / head Dorian guy Tim Tran has been kind enough to donate the music school for jams, so Sienna and Peja won't have to suffer through our awkward phases. The band is a 5 piece, a number that gives me pause; with a 3 piece, a band is almost assuredly going to sound tight, as long as everyone is listening to someone, the whole band will be locked together. With 4, you can pair-off and lose cohesion fairly easily. But I am hopeful, I think the musicians I've somehow bribed, borrowed, and/or stolen are all very good, thoughtful players, and I'm really excited about hearing them all play together.

No comments: