Friday, March 20, 2009

Baby PJ, and the Erin Farm. . .

More love sent out to baby PJ, who the doctors are keeping an eye on at the hospital -- he's all good, but they like to be sure before they send babies out into the world.

I'm listening to some classic Barn Flyz, because I'm a narcissist, I guess, but also to remember what the band used to sound like. A Few More Songs from the Erin Farm was a record made out of frustration -- my 8 track recorder had busted, I went back to using my old digital 4 track; which required a lot of track bouncing and figuring out before hand. What was kind of fun is that the drums almost always got added last (they sounded the worst after getting mixed down, so I'd do everything else first so they would remain 1st generation), so I could do as many takes as I wanted of the drum parts without wanting to rush off to add more stuff. The room at the farm where I recorded was a lot like my new studio in the new house -- big, old, one window. It's also the shortest record in the collection, only 5 tracks. One of it's tracks, "Millionaire" was reworked for "Songs for my Seaweed Girl", but to me, I like some of the other songs better. They are very mellow, really, I didn't know better, I'd say I got really into pot right around the time of this record. . . The lyrics don't make much sense, the tunes drone on, and there is a lot of reverb floating around. . . I would like to put together a pod-cast of a bunch of old tracks, with commentary, for the three fans of the band. . .

Peja is having a night terror. She cries in her sleep, pretty loud, without waking up. I can go in and wake her, but she settles just as fast on her own, or wakes up, which is all I would do if I went to her. It's funny to have an almost 5 year old that cries in the night and sounds just like a baby -- nearly every night -- but it seems totally normal too, because she's always done it. I've been leaving her at friends houses for play-dates lately, and not only is she fine with me leaving, she's often told me that "you can go do something daddy", which is a not-too-subtle "get out, you old loser, and let me have some fun without your constant nagging!" Oh, there, she's quiet again. Sweet. We still have a sleep chart for her, if she sleeps through, I put a sticker on it. Every morning when we come downstairs, Peja asks me if she's slept through. I told Sienna today that I've probably forgotten about the same number of wake-ups as I have remembered dreams of imaginary wake-ups; the stickers even out. When she fills the chart, she gets a toy from Sienna's toy stash.

I bought some chain and some bolts to secure the new basketball net from thieves, vandles, and basketball nemeses who might want to impair my ability to further perfect the turn-around fade-away. It will be up soon, and you'd better all fear the fade.

No comments: